About the Serra Club
History and structure:
The Serra Club of Lexington was established as a chapter of Serra International at a charter presentation banquet on February 23, 1963 in Lexington, Kentucky in the Diocese of Covington. Since its inception the organization has conducted monthly meetings (including rosary and Mass), held annual meetings with the installation of new officers, and provided financial, spiritual and social support for the priests, religious, seminarians and Serra members of the diocese. Currently, the Serra Club of Lexington is part of the Catholic Diocese of Lexington based at the Cathedral of Christ the King in Lexington, Kentucky.Purpose and Goals:
The club‘s goals reflect the goals of Serra International, specifically for Lexington, KY.
· To foster and promote vocations to the ministerial priesthood in the Catholic Church as a particular vocation to service, and to support the bishop and the priests of the Catholic Diocese of Lexington in their sacred ministry;
· To encourage and affirm vocations to the consecrated religious life in the Catholic Church especially within the Catholic Diocese of Lexington;
· And to assist its club members to recognize and respond in their own lives to God’s call to holiness in Jesus Christ and through the Holy Spirit.
Activities of the Club:
? Monthly, the club members pray the rosary, celebrate the Eucharist, and hold a business and program meeting (including light snacks and beverages).
? Annually, the club holds a dinner meeting for the election and installation of new officers.
· Annually, the club sponsors an appreciation activity: one each for the priests, religious, seminarians, and the altar servers.
· Annually, the club sponsors two vocations dinners with holy hours.
· Annually, the club hosts the ordination masses for the new priests and deacons of the diocese with dinner the night prior to the event.
? Annually, the club members visit the seminarians at one of two seminaries.
· Annually, the club sponsors an award to a Lexington Catholic High School senior.
? Annually, the club sponsors a vocations poster contest for grades 4-6.
· Annually, the club sponsors a weekend retreat in the fall and a night of prayer in the spring for its members.
? The club was responsible for the initiation of the Vocation Cross program in the diocese.